Biomes & Weather
When travelling through the world of Stoneshard, you will explore various areas. Thick forests, peaceful fields, flowing rivers, rocky mountains and more.
Biomes are map tiles that always appear with certain specifics to them. Biomes on the Global Map are randomly generated. These tiles can be generated with some features like Lake or River. There are currently only four Biomes:
- Pine Forest
- Leaf Forest
All Biomes can currently spawn with a road variant. A Biome with Road combines the features of another Biome which are moved to the corners and sides. The middle of the map tile is filled with an actual road leading through the Biome, usually connecting Towns with nearby Dungeons and some Points of Interest. There are several road types:
- Straight road (either top-bottom or left-right, never a diagonal road)
- Curved road
- T-shaped road split
- 4-way road crossing
Road-specific features include:
- Abandoned graveyard cart with caskets and dead bodies
- Abandoned merchant cart with randomly generated loot
- Abandoned cart with randomly generated loot and deathstinger hive stuck around it
- Recently ambushed cart with arrows sticking out of the cart
- A statue representing one of the Hands, which can be used to pray to The Host
- A small religious Shrine, which can be used to pray to The Host
Fields are wide open areas with small amounts of bushes. This Biome is a good source of Herbs and berry bushes. The biome can spawn inhabited some Animals - Rabbits, and Birds mostly, sometimes you can encounter here a Forest Viper. Getting ambushed in an open Field can also be potentially deadly.
Leaf and Pine Forests are currently the most varied Biome. A labyrinth of trees makes for an interesting place to hunt or fight. Forests are commonly filled with some Herbs, multiple types of Mushrooms and Berries, along with Pine Cones and Acorns and Sticks. The fauna is varied aswell - from peaceful Hedgehogs, Squirrels, Foxes and Deer to Forest Vipers, Boars, Wolves, Moose and Bears.
- A development screenshot was shared on Stoneshard Reddit, featuring a Swamp-like Biome.
- An old screenshot from the development version features the players standing in a swamp-like map surrounded by flying bug-type enemies.
- A recent teaser shared via Discord also shows several giant wasp-like hive structures.
There is little information about the specifics of Rivers and Lakes Biomes.
Page last edited during patch: 0.7.0.27